Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:38:02 +0800

On 9/5/06, phil taylor <ptay1685@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 03:21 +0200, Markus Hitter wrote:
> Am 05.09.2006 um 01:06 schrieb Pascal Bourguignon:
>
> > On NeXTSTEP, I just kept the menu out of screen, and configured the
> > right button to pop it up under the mouse.[...]
> > Clearly, a menu bar is silly.

> Clearly, menus popping up where ever your mouse is, are silly. The
> human eye and brain remembers locations, and if the locations of menu
> items change all the time, it's extra work to pick them each time.

have you tried it? i find it easier. hold down right button scroll
down then  release. you are just so used to looking for the menu.
those are habits from a platform that was forced on you.

does windows users have any choice if windows dumped the menubar and
start using the ribbon? what if the kde core group decided that the
ribbon is superior to the menubar?

> No, I don't think GNUstep can find a general solution for all these
> personal preferences and I try to ignore these fruitless discussions,
> but I couldn't resist on this one.
>

> Markus

clearly seem to demonstrate that a GUI that is to appeal to a wide
audience needs to be configurable. Anything less is destined only to
find a small niche market at best.

When you design an interface, you cannot assume that what you like
someone else will like. Perhaps thats obvious.

go read up on openstep. its clear that the designers have a complete
consistent set of interface guidelines. they have reasons for it and i
agree with them.

you have the source go ahead and create another ui.

this is competition of ui designs and i think windows style ui's have
the upper hand right now.

--
the thing i like with my linux pc is that i can sum up my complaints in 5 items