Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]

From: Charles Philip Chan
Subject: Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 18:55:18 -0400

On 2006-09-04 18:38:00 -0400 phil taylor <ptay1685@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:

> Can anyone (try to) explain the merits of the floating menus? I fail
> see any advantages over the more usual menus which are either attached
> at some point to the application windows,

I don't have to move my mouse as much:

        http://www120.pair.com/mccarthy/nextstep/intro.htmld/

> or can be invoked by clicking anywhere within the window.

The menu can also be invoked by right clicking on any NeXT/Gnustep
apps.

> The menus of multiple applications all look the same - only the title
> bar of the base menu distinguishes them, so with lots of apps open it
> gets harder and harder to locate which menu goes with which app.

WTF? Only the action app have its menu showing.

> For every app open you now have two windows (main app window and menu
> window) open instead of one. So now you have two windows to position.
> Is
> that an advantage?

Yes. Menus can also be pinned or put off-screen.

> I hardly see how anyone can believe that the dangling menu looks
> better.
> I suppose it looks odd to me largely due to it being different to the
> usual paradigm with which I am familiar, but even taking that into
> account it is still rather odd.

Takes a while to get use to, but easy to use once you get use to it.

> As to the scrollbars being on the left, I have no basic objection to
> that, except to say that it makes sense to have the scroll bars on the
> same side as the close button, since those two operations happen most
> frequently. You open the window, scroll the text to locate something,
> then close it. If the close button is on the right and the scroll bar
> on
> the left, then that would indicate extra mouse movements are required
> in
> that situation.

Not if you are in edit something. Close is put in a more difficult
place to get at to prevent users from accidentally closing the window.

> Overall, to me the GNUstep (and by defenition Openstep) interface
> seems
> to me odd for no good reason, as if it was dreamed up by marketing
> executives who see the need to differentiate a product against its
> competitors.

Please read the reasoning in this page before commenting further:

        http://www120.pair.com/mccarthy/nextstep/intro.htmld/

Charles

--
"The move was on to 'Free the Lizard'"

   -- Jim Hamerly and Tom Paquin (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and
Associates)