Re: Camaelon <-> GNUstep

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: Camaelon <-> GNUstep
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 23:27:20 +0200

Le 25 août 06 à 15:29, Markus Hitter a écrit :

Am 25.08.2006 um 14:13 schrieb Nicolas Roard:

On 8/25/06, Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:

How do the Etoilé people think about getting their work "borrowed"?

What do you mean ?..

Obviously there is some reason why Etoilé is a separate project.

Freedom and no FSF assignment :-)
Various other arguments exist like GNUstep is a toolkit with developers in mind, Étoilé is a desktop environment with a wider audience in theory. Well, it could be debated I know. Finally we are free to do things not inline with GNUstep history or spirit. For example, one year and half ago, no plan of integrating Camaelon into -gui existed. The agreement was reached this year iirc. Or we are using a horizonal menu bar by default (with a menu server to provide the proper user experience), I don't think this is going to happen for GNUstep itself anytime soon.

Perhaps their developers aren't that happy if you move their work "back" into GNUstep mainstream.

It's clearly legal to do so, but asking doesn't hurt either.

We are happy to see our work "borrowed" by GNUstep. If Camaelon gets finally integrated into GNUstep, this means more free-time to spend on other important Étoilé specific tasks.

Cheers,
Quentin

--
Quentin Mathé