Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:48:48 +0200

Am 27.08.2006 um 21:23 schrieb Gregory John Casamento:

Up until now we've had 4 or 5 projects playing at being the official desktop in an effort to fill the void.

Yepp. And looking at NeXTbuntu and MidnightBSD, even full OS releases appear to be in fashion right now.

What I do not understand is, what's wrong with all the various package managers each distro has? Instead of putting up an entire Linux or BSD fork, creating or refining packages in each native package mananger for GNUstep would be the most straightforward thing to do, IMHO.

One package for -make, -base, each app, and so on. Plus a meta- package for getting a full runtime-environment, a full development environment and a full desktop environment. The latter should allow to get rid of any other graphical environment (KDE, Gnome, maybe even X), without hosing GNUstep's workings. *snap* there you have your GNUstep distro (of course it's not developed by a snap but for the user it could/should be).

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/