Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:59:39 +0200

Hello all,

We need a project that will pull together existing efforts, create an easy installation/update environment, and encourage effort towards helping out on existing apps. Because those existing apps really do a tremendous job of covering many desktop needs:

GWorkspace + appwrappers

We got it to build on Solaris, but it does not seem to cooperate reasonably with Etoile and especially EtoileMenuServer.app (overlapping menus)

Terminal

Is Terminal.app of real use for anyone? We got it built on our Solaris machine but at least our version is rather buggy and unusable. "ls" list the files but does not show the bash prompt again. I have to press enter a few times to get the prompt again. We can't enter '|', it just beeps. pico does not work "Sorry, I don't know anything about your "linux" terminal" ... So until now, we had to stick to aterm, gnome-terminal,... What are we missing?

By the way, if I want to drag a string (path) from my app to Terminal.app what pastboard type do I need to use? Is Terminal.app able to work as a drag target?

TextEdit

TextEdit is close to useless for us since it is not able to read and write RTF files that can be read or have been written on a Mac with Apples TextEdit.app. Obviously the GNustep TextEdit cannot read the mac encoded rtf stream. That makes the whole application useless. I know not enough about rtf to figure out who's fault that is. I jsut know that e.g. german characters don't get through (Mac <--> GNUstep).

Anyone more success with these apps on Solaris in a mixed environment with Macs?

Thanks,

  Andreas