Re: NSPopUpButton bug

From: Marc Brünink
Subject: Re: NSPopUpButton bug
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:46:00 +0200

Hi

It's perhaps better to use a NSTableView to display the list or a NSBrowser.

I personally don't like Micro-TableViews which are, lets say, smaller than 10000 pixel. I think handling etc. is much worse that a PopupButton. Therefore if you plan to use a TableView you have to make it much bigger than the PopUpButton. Which is just impossible if you have lots of them. NSBrowser has the same problems. It consumes more space. So if you have to present an option with n-items I tend to use a Popup. At least if the option is used seldom and n < 300. If you have to use it always a NSBrowser might be appropiate. However there's another possibility: Hide the options behind some "Advanced"-Button. I hate that.

Any other ideas?

Marc