Re: plists in UTF8

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: plists in UTF8
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:54:21 +0100

> ... but property lists are commonly parsed from NSString objects
> loaded from file.
[snip]

Ah, yes, thats true. hadn't thought of that.

> which says it should look for BOMs and, in their absence, use the
> default encoding for the locale.

The latter looks like a bit of an odd choice to me, as I always took
the locale to be describing the character set the OS is using. So
it's telling me what fiilenames are represented in, but says nothing
about their contents encoding. But the laternative is to assume UTF-8
everywhere I guess, which I can see would break an awful lot of things,
which being arguably no more "correct".

Tricky...

-bat.