Re: GNUstep on MacOSX

From: Yves de Champlain
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MacOSX
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:53:18 -0400

Le 06-04-23 à 18:26, Quentin Mathé a écrit :

Le 6 avr. 06 à 04:01, Yves de Champlain a écrit :

preliminary tests show that GNUstep runs on Tiger.

Two conditions :
1- disable glx in back
2- don't have aspell installed ("--disable-aspell" in gui would be welcome)

Both link to System Frameworks that are themselves linked to libobjc.A (Apple)

Happy to hear the issue is finally sorted out :-)

I'll commit everything to darwinports soon

Do you mean current GNUstep svn repository already includes working bundle support ?

I'm not sure what you mean, I use 1.12.0/0.10.3 tarballs

Bubdles seem to build and link at runtime alright

Well the last time I tried, basically I was getting a segmentation fault every times I was loading a bundle (using FSF GCC 4.0.1, and GNUstep repository version from 3 weeks ago). I stumbled on this issue several times in the previous year. With GDB, I observed the problem was due to every classes in a bundle being correctly registered at runtime on load, but not selectors (even if they were perfectly present in the object files), but I have never been able to figure how I could have fix this behavior.

Which GCC version would you recommend now to compile/use GNUstep on Mac OS X 10.4 ?

Just to be sure, I want to state that I'm trying to use GNUstep Foundation/AppKit in Apple X11 context.

What I found out (with some help !!!!) is that anything that is somehow, sometimes linked to libobjc.A (Apple's) will cause a segfault at startup (in dyld)

for example, on Tiger, gnustep-gui will crash if it uses aspell and if aspell is built with nls support because gettext uses CoreFoundation which is itself linked to libobjc.A. configuring aspell with --disable-nls fix the problem.

I use 1.12.0/0.10.3 gnustep core with FSF gcc 4.1. 4.1 not only accepts objc++ but it alos deals better with -bundle. I also use odcctool-20060123, because Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf found better results at objc regression tests than with Apple's tool chain.

everything should be available through darwinports soon, but I've been saying this for at least two weeks :-\

PNG image

yves