Re: Start GNUstep.sh as early as possible in Xwindow session

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Start GNUstep.sh as early as possible in Xwindow session
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:48:42 -0700

On 4/17/06, Vaisburd, Haim <HVaisbur@advent.com> wrote:
> Charles Philip Chan wrote:
>
> > Do you know of any shell other than t/csh that does not read
> ~/.profile?
>
> bash does not read ~/.profile if it finds ~/.bash_profile
>
> Just a note: bash (and, maybe, some other popular shells)
> distinguishes between
> 1. interactive login shell
> 2. interactive, but not login shell
> 3. non-interactive shell
>
> The files it reads upon initialization differ in all 3 cases.
> So I should have written something like "when bash is going
> to read user profile file, it first goes for ~/.bash_profile,
> and if it finds it, it does not read any more user profile files".
>
> I found that on many system a display manager (xdm) starts a shell
> that is not interactive at all, so neither ~/.bashrc nor ~/.bash_profile
> is read before the system X session script ( Xsession ) is executed.
> This might explain why sourcing GNUstep.sh in ~/.bashrc had no effect
> on applications launched in Xsession.

Thanx for these suggestions.
I will try them later.
Each distro has its own sequence to start xsession.
If I start xwindow by my own, there is no problem.
But if I let the system to start the xwindow,
I have a hard time to figure out what is really called and what's not.
I am using Ubuntu/Gnome.
As a regular user, I cannot even understand why there is a
.bash_profile, .bash_rc and .profile.
And for Xwindow, there is .xinitrc and .xsession,
and some others system installed script (/etc/X11/Xsession.d/ in Ubuntu).
I think it is one of the annoying problem of using Unix.

Yen-Ju