Re: nib2gmodel binary for OPENSTEP 4.2?

From: Jamie Ramone
Subject: Re: nib2gmodel binary for OPENSTEP 4.2?
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:26:14 -0300

On 3/17/06, Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:
> > Does anyone have an OPENSTEP 4.2 machine that they could use to
> > compile nib2gmodel on?  I'm not even the new version compiles here,
> > but if it doesn't, send me the output and I'll try to fix it.
> >
> > ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/dev-apps/nib2gmodel-0.11.0.tar.gz
>
> I've got a laptop still running it, and an old Turbo cube - will try and
> get them fired up and give it a shot on sunday if possible. Though neither
> of them have networking so it lucky that fits on a floppy :-)
>
> -bat.

I do. I have one on my P200 and had one on a vmware on Win2k. Ive had
it long enough to figure out that you cannot get ANYTHING GNUstep
related to compile on OPENSTEP 4.2, unless the code is VERY
minimalistic in it's use of OPENSTEP objects (use only the ones
mentioned in the original OPENSTEP spec). This is because GNUstep
tries to keep up with Apple, thus it can only work more or less O.K.
with Rahpsody or greater version of that OS (Mac OS X "any latest
feline they use for the name of their OS"). Even the Makefile system
(GNUstepMake) is useless here. So I'd suggest giving up on
nib2gmodel-on-OPENSTEP.

The up side is that OPENSTEP (and I believe NEXTSTEP too, although I
haven't been able to confirm it yet) comes with a command-line tool
called nibtool. It reads in a NIB and outputs information about it to
the standard output as a property list. It has one option which allows
you to output ALL of the interface. What comes out is so similar to
the contents of a GModel file that you could just rig libgmodel to be
able to read the output of this tool, as well as standard GModel
files. That would probably make it a lot easier for people to port
things to GNUstep, as it would now be able to "see" old pre-xml
interface files.

Well, that's all i gotta say about that. I'm outta here.
--
Besos, abrazos, confeti y aplausos.
Jamie Ramone