Re: porting from Cocoa help

From: Anurodh Pokharel
Subject: Re: porting from Cocoa help
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:11:24 -0600

Adrian Robert <arobert@cogsci.ucsd.edu> wrote:

>On Mar 5, 2006, at 12:38 AM, Anurodh Pokharel wrote:
>
>> Well, it's been exactly since i last posted about porting a cocoa
>> app. I
>> tried again today an was actually able to compile everything in
>> ProjectCenter with a few changes. The main change on my end was
>> that apple got
>> rid of the dock in mail.app so i got rid of it too. That made
>> porting a
>> lot easier.
>>  The app i am porting is OSXnews  ( http://osxnews.sf.net )
>>
>> I have a few questions.
>
>Hi,
>
>The app sounds great.  I'll take a couple of the easy questions..
>
>> 1. does  NSAlert exist in gnustep? I had to comment out every instance
>> to get it to compile2. I know that @try{} catch does not work in
>> the version of gcc that
>> ships with non Darwin systems. How do you guys get around it? I
>> commented
>> every instance, but that will limit the stability of the application
>
>I haven't actually looked at ObjC try/catch, but the NS_DURING /
>NS_HANDLER construct provides similar functionality to try/catch in
>Java, used with the NSException class.  (No 'finally' block though.)
>See
>
>http://gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Base/
>ProgrammingManual/manual_6.html#SEC80
>
>Possibly you could do something with an #ifdef and some #defines in a
>header to use the same code in Cocoa and GNUstep..
>

>> 3. How do you give the application an icon? does it take icns files?
>
>If you are building with project center and you defined an
>"Application" project, there should be a way to set this through
>project properties.  This gets placed inside the .app bundle when
>built.  The long and short of it is you cannot use an icns, you use a
>fixed-resolution TIFF (perhaps other formats work, I'm not sure) set
>to something like 48x48.
>

>> 4.  NStoolbar uses @selector to specify the action, i had to
>> comment out
>> all of that too. How is this done in gnustep.
>
>I'm not sure what the problem is here, @selector works fine in gcc
>ObjC in my experience.  Maybe post an example and the error msg?

Hi,

I actually switched to gcc 4 and that cleared a lot of things. I
still havent gotten nsalert to work, but with many things turned off,
the application does compile now.
I tried making my nib files gmodels then .gorms.  While that did
work, it also really messed things up. The Gorm file is so corrupted
that once i save it, i cant open it anymore. There are a few minor
things, but beyond that i think OSXnews will have Gnustep  sibling
very soon, possibly this weekend. I am releasing 2.08 today and will
use that code base to make the first gnustep build. I will probably
post back on the NG with details and links

Thanks,
-Anu

--
Anurodh  Pokharel