Re: FOSDEM 2006

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: FOSDEM 2006
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:54:08 -0600

The production of the brochure costs money which someone needs to pay for, so you either find a sponsor for that (I guess this is hard, because producing nice-looking brochures is quite expensive) or you need to sell the brochure to cover the costs (which is also hard and involves up-front costs).

You don't have this problem with a book (even if its a small one) produced by a publisher. Of course it spreads less because people have to pay for it, but it doesn't cost you a dime except the work put in :-)

Unless we can find a way to do it "on-demand", such as via CafePress. We could
then pick up a small quantity (purchase them ourselves) to sell at FOSDEM next
year. If each person bought one book, and each person sold that book, we would
just recoup our costs. The books wouldn't cost more than probably $20 per
person (depending on size and binding options), and if we sold out, we could
always direct people to our CafePress page. Brochures might be a bit different,
but we might be able to find a similar vendor, or see if one of the CafePress
book options works for us.

It's maybe not the most beautiful option, and we do still each have to spend a
bit of money, but it lets us produce something without having to secure a
publisher first.

J.