Re: FOSDEM 2006

From: hns
Subject: Re: FOSDEM 2006
Date: 2 Mar 2006 23:36:20 -0800

> attended - no way - but I think we could have done so much more about the
> GNUstep booth, material, promotion and activity. Next year I'd like to
> participate more in this part of the process - getting more attention to
> GNUstep. We really need to show to _every_single_passant_ that we are a whole
> lot different from the KDE/Gnome/Ubuntu/Debian... folks just a few steps away.
> We need to stand out and shine! :-)

I completely agree!

Having the classes was great - between 10 and 30 attendees. But what I
would like to see in addition is an (open) developer's discussion
session (about targets, timelines, future projects, next FOSDEM plans,
etc.). Other projects did have this in their agenda and it gives
prospective users more confidence in a project.

But what was missing (compared to other projects) was to sell or
distribute
  - most recent brochures
  - CDs with debian and other prebuilt packages, plus recent source
tree
  - T-Shirts
  - Books
  - screen shots at the pin-board

The issue of "sell" might be that we are not an official organization
with a president, treasurer etc. Therefore we also have no money to
spend for such activities.

And for "book" we don't have one. Helge suggested to me to write one
and I have started to create a concept so that we have by next FOSDEM
some "GNUstep in a nutshell". I would volunteer as the editior and we
need some authors. Some chapters can be easily based on the slides
presented during FOSDEM 06. Ideas and volunteers welcome!

-- hns