Re: gdnc not starting, window manager, startup-0.14.1

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: Re: gdnc not starting, window manager, startup-0.14.1
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:36:30 +0100

On 2006-02-22 07:50:37 +0100 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
Why won't gdnc start? This is not a big problem, however, as I can start it by hand or in .bashrc. I don't understand why an application would be
unable to start it.

Ugh, I didn't realize this morning, that you already did try to run gdnc from a shell. Sorry, probably was too early for me :-}

Me neither ... unless you are on BSD. I know some version of BSD (but I forget which) had problems with it's thread library. However, I thought we had managed a workaround to that bug.
[...]

This is just to confirm that you'll have to make sure pthread gets correctly added during configuration time. Seems that the script occasionally fails to do that, at least here on FreeBSD, for no apparent reason. OTOH, I just gave it a try and killed all GNUstep related tools (gdomap, gdnc, gpbs) then started GNUMail -- no problem -- both, gpbs and gdnc, are re-started as expected.

--
Chris