gdnc not starting, window manager, startup-0.14.1

From: Marko Riedel
Subject: gdnc not starting, window manager, startup-0.14.1
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:54:39 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

after I got my font problems sorted out I started some applications. All
applications I start throw an uncaught exception, namely

NSInternalInconsistencyException: unable to contact gdnc server -
please check that the gdnc process is running.
I attempted to start it at '/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/gdnc'.

However, gdnc is there:

ls -l `which gdnc`
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Feb 20 00:50 /usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/gdnc

Why won't gdnc start? This is not a big problem, however, as I can start
it by hand or in .bashrc. I don't understand why an application would be
unable to start it.

Another problem I'm having is the way window decorations are handled.
Obviously something changed in the way GNUstep talks to the window
manager. Specifically, when I run e.g. GMastermind2.app, drag and drop
does not work because the window manager decorates the window containing
the image being dragged. Only the alpha channel of the image is displayed.
This is KDE 2.2.1. Again, this is not a problem, as I can switch to
WindowMaker. Drag and drop used to work.

Best regards,

Marko

| Marko Riedel, EDV Neue Arbeit gGmbH, markoriedelde@yahoo.de |
| http://www.geocities.com/markoriedelde/index.html           |