Re: projectcenter on debian etch wont run - newbie

From: Jamie Ramone
Subject: Re: projectcenter on debian etch wont run - newbie
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:28:56 -0300

On 2/1/06, StolenNomenclature <ptay1685@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Trying to start ProjectCenter, I get:
>
>          barny@debian:~$ ProjectCenter
>
> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Applications/ProjectCenter.app/ProjectCenter:
> symbol lookup error:
> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Library/Bundles/libgnustep-back.bundle/./libgnustep-back:
> undefined symbol: FTC_Manager_LookupSize
>          barny@debian:~$
>
> I have installed a brand new Debian Etch (Testing) distro, the installed
> GnuStep as recommended on your web page thus:
>
>          To perform an installation of all GNUstep packages available
>          under Debian, run "apt-get install gnustep gnustep-devel
>          gnustep-games". These packages are currently only available
>          under Debian testing and Unstable (sid).
>
> I should have thought following the web guidelines should have resulted
> in a Gnustep that would at least load ProjectCenter. Anyone any idea why
> this bog standard install should fail?
>
> I have also tried to run Gnustep from a Debian Sarge install. I was able
> to run ProjectCenter, although with frequent minor bugs manifesting
> themselves. I successfully created a basic Application type project,
> which built ok, but when run came up with an error relating to nib
> files. Also was unable to launch Gorm without an error (dont have access
> to the exact error text at this time).
>
> All in all never been able to run Gnustep at any time. Can anyone help?

I've had this exact same problem a LOOOOONG time ago. It took me about
a year to work it out but I eventually got GNUstep up and running.

First of all this problem is specific to the libArt based backend. If
you have a misinstalled or old (1.x, known as xtruetype or xtt)
version of the FreeType library, then this bug shows it's ugly head. I
compile everything on my box (yes, I have a modified LFS installation)
so I fixed it by compiling the new XFree86 4.5.0, which includes it's
own copy of the FreeType2 library. Before this I tried several
versions of both FreeType2 and libArt with no success.

When I started to have this problem the libArt based backend had
problems with FreeType2 and there was actually only one version that
worked. That eventually got sorted out, although it didn't help me. I
tried with several versions of libArt and Freetype2 and nothing
worked, until I built the new X.

So check that the FreeType2 library is properly installed in your
system. Also check whether it's not too old or new. You'll have to
read libArt's documentation for this.

Anyway, being this the exact same complaint I've seen before (just a
few minutes ago actually) in this list, I gather this is a Debian Etch
specific problem. You could try another version of Debian. make sure
you don't use one with the dreaded "testing" label in it's name. Or
you could build your own system like I did, just go to
www.linuxfromscratch.org for that.You could also try a LiveCD disro,
like Knoppix. This seems like the fastest way to go if you ask me.

Well, hope that helped. Bye.
--
Besos, abrazos, confeti y aplausos.
Jamie Ramone