Re: Windows and GnuStep

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: Windows and GnuStep
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 16:22:01 +0100

Hello,

On Wednesday, February 1, 2006, at 04:48 PM, Andy Satori wrote:

For what's it's worth, I wouldn't consider myself the average user, I built Mono from the ground up on the Mac OS before it was supported, I've built Gnome and GTK by hand on Mac OS. I've also worked extensively with Cygwin (and Win/U) to get Unix apps running on Windows. I'm not afraid of mucking with the system to get things working, but there are limits, and getting GnuStep apps working on Windows is currently beyond those limits.

even if I have quite some gnustep and unix experience, I am not certainly a windows expert. I used the installer for windows, installed on win2000 and everything was properly installed and works. It comes with no applications, IIRC but the whole environment is ready. it may not be the most flexible choice, but it is very easy. I then compiled Gorm and it compiled fine, I compiled easy diff, and a couple of other apps and they just work (although they have some nuances, but I mean they start up). TextEdit too I think. The applications that didn't compile for me are due to the usage of MinGW and not Cygwin (but I cannot verify this claim at all, I don't know how much more unix-complete cygwin is and anyway currently it doesn't work with gnustep) and those application rely on "unixish" features, for example my FTP.app application relies on bsd/posix style sockets. But still, everything was fine and easy. The errors I found were due to the code of the specific applications and the MinGW usage, not real "GNUstep problems". Sure it should be improved and possibly some of these application can be either written more portably or they could get #ifdef'd code for windows/mingw support.

cheers,

   Riccardo