Re: Windows and GnuStep

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: Windows and GnuStep
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 17:51:44 +0800

Jason Clouse wrote:
On 2006-02-03 15:57:28 -0500 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

I agree ... it's sad and it's not how I would have read it, but it seems it needs clarification.

Perhaps it's worth saying that while it's perfectly possible to write applications which are portable to windows, at least 90% of applications have been written solely for portability across unix platforms.

Also, you can't build your application on a Mac, copy the source to a Linux box, and simply type "make". Which is probably what a lot of Mac devs are thinking when they think of portability. A lot of people seem to use the Core* frameworks and mixtures of Cocoa and Carbon.

This is very true. Quite understandable once you realise the number of things you *can't* do in Cocoa and so *have* to fall back to Carbon.

Regards,
Sheldon