Re: plists from the commandline

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: plists from the commandline
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:31:16 +0000

On 17 Jan 2006, at 13:54, Dennis Leeuw wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
On 17 Jan 2006, at 08:44, Dennis Leeuw wrote:
Hi all,

I am struggeling with plists. It would be nice if 'controller' could use plists to find out everything there is to know about a certain installed piece of software. But I do not understand how I can access e.g. the Info-gnustep.plist. There seems to be no way I can feed defaults with a file.

Is this correct or am I missing something?
Not sure what you want ... perhaps to extract the value of a field from a plist file containing a serialised dictionary? AFAIK there is no command-line tool to do that ... though writing one would be easy. If you want, I could do one to take a single argument (the key to use for extraction) and act as a filter taking the original property list as standard input and writing the extracted value as standard output or something similar.

What I want is to have a plist that e.g. contains:
ApplicationName = "GWorkspace"
Daemons = "fswatcher ddbd"
Tools = "indexer lsfupdater resizer searchtool"
Bundles = "inspector finder extinfo thumb"
Frameworks = "FSNode Inspector"
Headers = "FSNode Inspector"
Libraries = "libDBKit libFSNode libInspector"
Defaults = "GWorkspace fswatcher ddbd thumbnailer"
UserSettings = "Library/GWorkspace Library/ddbd Library/Thumbnails Library/Desktop"

And I want one of the contents to be outputted so it can be used in a shell script e.g. like

# cat plist | tool ApplicationName
GWorkspace

So if you could create a little tool that can do that... that would be great! Since I have no clue where to start.

OK ... I added 'plget' to the property list utilities in the base library Tools directory so that
'cat plist | plget ApplicationName' should do what you want.