Re: Installing GNUStep under X11 on OSX...newbie...can anyone help pleas

From: Andrew Sheridan
Subject: Re: Installing GNUStep under X11 on OSX...newbie...can anyone help please...
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 05:58:54 +0000

On 2005-12-28 04:43:43 +0000, Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> said:

On Dec 27, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Andrew Sheridan wrote:

E281 Error
I don't seem to be able to use your Objective-C compiler to produce
working binaries!  Please check your Objective-C compiler installation.
For gcc-3.0.x make sure that your compiler's libgcc_s and libobjc
can be found by the dynamic linker - usually that requires you to add
the directory given by gcc -print-file-name=libobjc.so to your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf.
Please refer to your compiler installation instructions for more help.

You don't say what OS version you are using, nor did you include the log files. I'm guessing however that you are using the Apple gcc, not the FSF gcc. Or if you do have FSF gcc, it did not install the Objective-C library. You have to download and compile gcc from gcc.gnu.org. GNUstep can't use Apple's gcc.

(Actually, I've been able to compile, but not run, GNUstep using Apple's gcc that comes with Tiger, but that requires a few tweaks that are not included in Startup).

Does this help ...

******** Checking system for installation issues **********
Configuring for powerpc-apple-darwin8.3.0
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.3.0
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.3.0
checking target system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.3.0
checking for GNUstep configuration file to use... /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf
checking if we should import an existing configuration file... no: file "/etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf" does not exist /Volumes/XServe/Users/Andrew/Desktop/gnustep-startup-0.14.0/configure: line 1579: -n: command not found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for library combo... gnu-gnu-gnu
configure: Configuring on darwin8.3.0
checking compiler version... gcc major version is 3
checking for apple compiler... no
checking for ar... ar
checking for ld... ld
checking for dlltool... no
checking for gawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for whoami... /usr/bin/whoami
checking for make... no
checking make version > 3.75... yes GNU Make 3.80
checking broken make... broken
checking binutils version > 2.9... no
checking iconv version > 2.1... no
checking iconv support... yes, -liconv
checking for xml2-config... /opt/local/bin/xml2-config
checking for libxml - version >= 2.3.0... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking libxml/SAX2.h usability... yes
checking libxml/SAX2.h presence... yes
checking for libxml/SAX2.h... yes
checking for xsltApplyStylesheet in -lxslt... yes
checking libxslt/xslt.h usability... yes
checking libxslt/xslt.h presence... yes
checking for libxslt/xslt.h... yes
checking the Objective-C runtime... GNU
checking openssl/ssl.h usability... yes
checking openssl/ssl.h presence... yes
checking for openssl/ssl.h... yes
checking for CRYPTO_malloc in -lcrypto... yes
checking for main in -lsocket... no
checking for ssl2_clear in -lssl... yes
checking for des_setkey in -lcipher... no
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for Objective-C compiler... yes
checking objc/objc.h usability... yes
checking objc/objc.h presence... yes
checking for objc/objc.h... yes
checking if GNUstep environment exists... no
checking if GNUstep directories exists... /Volumes/XServe/Users/Andrew/Desktop/gnustep-startup-0.14.0/configure: line 6675: test: too many arguments
no
checking for GNUstep up-to-date objc library... NONE
checking ffi.h usability... yes
checking ffi.h presence... yes
checking for ffi.h... yes
checking callback.h usability... no
checking callback.h presence... no
checking for callback.h... no
checking "for forwarding callback in runtime"... no
checking "FFI library usage"... none
checking whether objc has thread support... no
checking whether objc really works... no
checking for main in -lm... yes
checking jpeglib.h usability... yes
checking jpeglib.h presence... yes
checking for jpeglib.h... yes
checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... yes
checking for main in -lz... yes
checking tiffio.h usability... yes
checking tiffio.h presence... yes
checking for tiffio.h... yes
checking for TIFFReadScanline in -ltiff... yes
checking png.h usability... yes
checking png.h presence... yes
checking for png.h... yes
checking for main in -lpng... yes
checking GNUstep Back... none
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating setupvars
config.status: executing default commands
* Startup configuration report                                      *
I199 Information
GNUstep is not installed yet. Please proceed with installation of GNUstep
as long as you have resolved other errors listed here.
W272 Warning
You do not have a recent version of the libobjc library. Startup
will install one.
E281 Error
I don't seem to be able to use your Objective-C compiler to produce
working binaries!  Please check your Objective-C compiler installation.
For gcc-3.0.x make sure that your compiler's libgcc_s and libobjc
can be found by the dynamic linker - usually that requires you to add
the directory given by gcc -print-file-name=libobjc.so to your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf.
Please refer to your compiler installation instructions for more help.

Regards
Andrew