Re: AddressBook with LuceneKit support

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: AddressBook with LuceneKit support
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:25:01 -0800

On 12/20/05, Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org> wrote:
> On 16. Dez 2005, at 23:15 Uhr, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:
> > A  version of AddressBook with LuceneKit support can be download here:
> > http://www.scripps.edu/~yjchen/Addresses-0.4.6-LuceneKit-1.tar.gz
>
> What exactly is LuceneKit used for in the addressbook? (I wonder,
> because addresses are rather structured data, not generic blobs which
> are the target of lucene, no?)

  LuceneKit is a generic search engine with fields supports.
  So you can use it for web site like Google by puting all text in one field,
  or for contact information with fields like AddressBook.
  Therefore, it is possible to search something by  "Name:Joe AND City:Taipei".
  LuceneKit is a direct port of Apache Lucene
(http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html).
  You can find out more information there.

  LuceneKit is not less than any other search engine out there.
  The only thing people from Cocoa might consider is that
  it does not fit Apple spotlight API very well.
  It is still possible to wrap it as NSXMLParser to GSXML,
  but the performace will reduce.

  Yen-Ju