Re: Cannot Build GNUstep Apps

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Cannot Build GNUstep Apps
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:22:13 +0100

Riccardo wrote:
> - the xlib backend _should_ be faster than art here and it is in fact.
> Still xlib backend sufers oteher perofmance problems: it seems to
> exchange a lot of data and making a lot of calls with the Xserver. If
> you have a slower computer or an xserver different than Xorg/Xfree (like
> the Xpmac found in older MkLinux) you might experience quite slow
> drawing even locally and if you watch cpu usage, the process consuming
> msot of it is X11 itself, not your application.
>
> to sum up, I think gnustep has some performance problems that are common
> to both backends and some further problems in the xlib backend (the art
> backend is really thought to be used locally). You can notice this
> especially when scrolling bigger images for example, or with big tables.
>
> Using X over a lan link just "exposes" the huge amount of exchange
> between your application and X.

Did anybody ever do a serious profiling of the backend stuff? I tried
to, but failed to get it working with LD_PROFILE.
That way of profiling used to work pretty nicely with base and GUI, but
currently I don't even get that working. In the profile only data from
the function calls shows up, nothing from methods. Which make this
profiling rather useless for GNUstep :-(

Fred