Re: GNUstep on windows

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: GNUstep on windows
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:44:30 -0500

Hi,

 also started writing some guides to using GNUstep. What I've written
so far can be found at:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~smokey27/objc.pdf

This looks very nice!  Have you seen:

http://gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Base/ ProgrammingManual/manual_toc.html

It might be more efficient to improve / update this (and perhaps also make it more visible to downloaders / users of GNUstep) than starting fresh. On the other hand, this document is rather long, and perhaps you are shooting for a shorter document just on the basics. This would be a good addition, assuming there aren't already references covering this at http://gnustep.org/developers/documentation.html .

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~smokey27/appkit.pdf

This is a good start, and the GNUstep equivalent here is pretty sparse:

http://gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Gui/ ProgrammingManual/manual_toc.html

Contributions on this would be more than welcome. However the question is what the focus should be. My impression is that there are lots of tutorials from Apple and elsewhere (http://gnustep.made- it.com/GSPT/xml/Tutorial_en.html) on basic use of IB / Gorm to build simple GUIs, but much fewer on the actual nuts and bolts of using the AppKit libraries, which you need to know to get beyond toy apps. I'm talking about Views, drawing, controllers, responder chain, matrixes, standard and clever delegation strategies, and so on. Apple has a lot of material here, but it tends to be divided up piecemeal and also sometimes mixed in with Apple-specific stuff. This state is livable, but it would be nice to have a general GNUstep intro to using the AppKit library.