Re: Re[2]: FOSDEM 2006 - Saturday dinner

From: comrade
Subject: Re: Re[2]: FOSDEM 2006 - Saturday dinner
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 00:01:16 +1100

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 12:32:39PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Manuel Guesdon <ml@orange-concept.com>
> > Please see messages concerning 'spammers' problems.
> > Noone came with a better idea to avoid this problem.
>
> See http://hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AntiSpam
> for some possible ideas. I don't know which are available
> for mediawiki, but mediawiki is hard to edit anyway.

It's about as easy as any other wiki, IMHO. The big issue is
getting writers and structurers involved, not really how many specific
clicks are required or which particular syntax is more "efficient" or
"easier".

Or are you talking about modifying MediaWiki? There's a big community
out there, which is a pretty good reason to use it - someone else must
have this itch well-scratched by now ;-)

I recall that one of the main reasons we moved to MediaWiki (and lost
access to all the old content - search etc no longer works on the old
one, many links fail etc) was to improve our ability to control
spammers.

Sigh.

Peter