Re: Helper files for applications

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Helper files for applications
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:21:24 +0100

Hi Andreas,

that's not to hard to expalin.

Andreas Höschler wrote:

> I just made an attempt to completely understand how to set up an app
> project. Therefore I studied the example app Ink.app. It contains the
> following files:
>
> InkInfo.plist

This file get merged with other informations to form the
Info-gnustep.plist in the application ressources directory. It contains
information on the supported file types (for document based
applications), general application data and start up information (NIB
file to load, application class and the icon information you ask for
below). You should find similar files on MacOSX.

> Ink.desktop

This is a generated file that can be used by certain desktop
environment, following some Freedesktop specification, to start the
application. The explanation of the entries in this file can be found at:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fdesktop_2dentry_2dspec

Most likely the entries did already change since I implemented this
feature to better integrate GNUstep applications with KDE.

If you don't use a desktop environment that handles this file type just
igonre it.

> Is there any documentation about what these are good for and what all
> the entries (e.g. Exec and PATH in Ink.desktop) mean? I also noted that
> GNUmakefile does not contain an entry
>
>     Ink_APPLICATION_ICON = Ink_app.tiff
>
> like my app GNUmakefiles do. So what is this all about?

This setting is in InkInfo.plist, see above.

Cheers
Fred