Re: Getting started developing software on MS Windows

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Getting started developing software on MS Windows
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:23:40 +0000

On 18 Nov 2005, at 12:27, Frode wrote:

Hello folks!

I am a beginner and have a few questions. What is the state of GNUstep
on MS Windows? Is it possible to build simple software using GNUstep on
MS Windows?

For command line tools I think, it's fine.
for GUI apps, it has lots of rough edges, but it's certainly possible to build simple software ... the question is whether you find the result usable/good enough for your purposes. I can't answer that for you. NB. Use the latest code from CVS for running on windows with msys/ mingw ... the windows port is young, and often the latest CVS code is much better than even a fairly recent release.

I'm asking because I consider compiling a simple Cocoa application on MS Windows using GNUstep and finding it hard to know where to start. I have
build the sample code from the tutors, but when it comes to the menu &
windows sample, only a black (non-native MS Windows) window is shown. I guess something is wrong, but I don't know where I should start looking.

Well you certainly shouldn't see a black window (I guess you mean blank, totally black).

You should be expecting to see a window that looks like a GNUstep window, not a native looking one. There are user default you can set to make GNUstep use native-style window borders and use the windows taskbar rather than an app icon ... when you start an application (assuming you are using an up to date copy of the windows backend) a panel will ask you to select the way you want to see things.

Even using native windows borders, GNUstep doesn't really look like ms-windows (we need the Camaleon theme engine integrated into the gui for that, and it's not yet done). Personally I like the NeXT/GNUstep look, and run my apps set up that way, but the native look is being worked on.

I manage to build Gorm-1.0.0 and it compiles and installs just fine. But
when I launch it with "openapp Gorm.app", the strange black window
appears again. If I enter ESC, then the application quits.

Sounds like some problem with the drawing code. I can't check the very latest CVS code (my machine is running Debian at the moment and is tied up for the rest of the day so I can't run windows), but I'd suggest trying that. Someone else might know how you can get a black window ... I've never seen that problem.