Re: Threads, DO and Runloop unexpected behaviour

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Threads, DO and Runloop unexpected behaviour
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:38:45 +0000

On 1 Nov 2005, at 16:59, Wim Oudshoorn wrote:

No, the -doExternal method will run the runloop again, so it is available
for handling the new -doInternal requests.  Mostly this works fine
and while -doExternal is executing it will process -doInternal. However
once in a while it will fail.

This is unfortunate because in our, more complex case, this will
lead to a deadlock.

Ah I see .. the problem is not 'how is it possible to get two doExternal messages logged together', it's that sometimes you get no doInternal requests inside a doExternal, and you think this means that you will never get doInternal's (rather than just being an artifact of the scheduler). Seems plausible ... in which case we have a bug. I'll modify the code to produce something that will actually deadlock to prove that doInternal *never* gets called.