Backbone on Windows

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Backbone on Windows
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:17:31 +1100

I've have been experimenting with Backbone apps
(Prefs/Terminal/TextEdit), and I can confirm these things do compile and
run well on Windows. My question: is Windows a supported platform for
the applications?

I have Preferences and TextEdit running under mingw, and I can compile
and run Terminal under cygwin, with no apparent loss in functionality. I
have had to make some changes to things to get them (and others, e.g.
Gorm) to work under windows.

The changes are small, but I've listed them below if anyone's
interested:

Patch #1
--------
There seems to be a bug in gnustep related to window deallocation, where
it tries to deallocate (I think) an NSWindow more than once. I've tried
in vain to locate it. A workaround to prevent GNUstep or any other Objc
program from dereferencing "hanging" pointers is to modify the gnu objc
runtime:

in sendmsg.c, objc_msg_lookup change the following line:

if (receiver)

if (receiver && (receiver->class_pointer)!=(void*)0xdeadface)

It seems the class pointer is made to equal that hex number (DEADFACE)
when objects are deallocated. I have my runtime like this, and I'm yet
to experience issues.

Patch #2
--------
The makefile for Terminal just needs one line changed to compile under
cygwin:

editing /System/Applications/Terminal/GNUmakefile

add the following line:

Terminal_OBJC_LIBS += -lutil -liconv

which should allow proper linking.

I'd release patches, but the changes are small enough to do by hand, and
I need them tested first, esp. #1, as it's controversial enough.

Cheers
--
Christopher Armstrong <carmstrong@fastmail.com.au>