Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:53:17 +0100

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Quentin_Math=E9?= <gnustep-quentin@club-internet.fr>
> Anyway I think CVS is way more problematic when you consider web site
> management topic, where moving and renaming files is a recurrent need.

The navigation structure of a web site is not tightly tied to
the file structure.  Discouraging file moves/renames is not
such a terrible thing for a web site.  For example, see
<URL:http://www.useit.com/alertbox/980614.html>
Fighting Linkrot, by Jakob Nielsen

At worst, redirects should be added for them. This is one thing
which has slowed down a few reforms while testing MultiViews
and so on. That in itself is a question for version control:
is translation between formats a copy, a move with changes or
simply a translation that none of the version control systems
mentioned can track accurately yet?

--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask