Re: Totally Gormless

From: Duncan Anker
Subject: Re: Totally Gormless
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:49:00 +1000

Gregory John Casamento wrote:
I would appreciate if the subject of this thread was changed to reflect the
apparent shift in topic, given that this appears to have been a configuration
issue.
I second that, since the discussion seems no longer pertinent to my original problem.

FWIW, I managed to get Gorm working by removing the -fomit-frame-pointer flag. A few points:

I am working with the CVS version, although I think stable did much the same thing.

I was originally using the libffi that is installed with GCC 4.0 - I assumed that would be compiled with default flags since it builds itself 3 times, however a few things I have seen (e.g. the dev version of Linux
From Scratch) suggest that perhaps gcc builds itself with
-fomit-frame-pointer. If that is the case I would expect that libffi is safe from adverse side-effects or they wouldn't do it.

I also tried with ffcall before posting to the list, although with -fomit-frame-pointer, so that could well have contributed to the problem. Thanks to those who pointed out that this breaks with that flag - thinking about it logically, it's not that surprising I guess. (The callbacks are frame-based, right?)

I tested Gorm at each stage of the rebuild after make, base, gui and back - it continued to crash until I rebuilt Gorm itself, so I don't know if that's something to do with a library it links with or if Gorm itself is sensitive to the flag.

I had seg faults with GWorkspace as well, which were fixed by the complete uninstall and rebuild I did prior to fixing Gorm (i.e. still with libffi and -fomit-frame-pointer). I don't know if this is a related issue, but I thought I would mention it as well, since it seems that this is a general gnustep compilation problem and not Gorm as such.

Thanks to everybody for the helpful suggestions.

--
Duncan Anker
Server 101, Web Hosting & E-Commerce

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0