Re: Totally Gormless

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Totally Gormless
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:16:25 -0600

On 2005-10-12 10:47:16 -0600 Nicola Pero <nicola.pero@operatelecom.com> wrote:

But I can't see much use for the SYS / PLATFORM / PLATFORM_LOCAL variables
then ... presumably you can access those eg SYS_APPS settings via the
standard OpenStep API to get paths ? ... they won't work on other OpenStep systems though and the paths you get from the API calls aren't much use unless you have code that deals differently with all the types of system
you can work on ... eg, once I'm told that SYS_APPS is //C/Windows (is
that the location of system binaries in Windows ?), I need to have heavily
platform-dependent code to know what to do with that path, eg which
executables I can find in that path! At which point the benefit of having
the API giving you SYS_APPS is lost, isn't it ?

Maybe someone has got a good example of how those are used ?

Personally I'd vote for removing SYS_APPS etc. entirely from the API.

The Windows paths are still a work in progress. I'm not sure when those will be done. Here's some previous discussion on the topic:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnustep/2004-01/msg00038.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2004-01/msg00642.html