Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:51:05 -0700

Andrew Ruder wrote:
On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 01:32:57AM +0200, Helge Hess wrote:
Well, there are two reasons which I heard in the discussion:
a) there is no Svn admin support on GNU servers

I am still figuring this one out and have contacted some GNU people
about subversion support for GNUstep.

b) Svn is not a viable option for GNU projects due to licensing
issues (is this really true?)

There is obviously no issue or gcc wouldn't be moving to it next week.

The reason people are using Svn is definitely not "hype" as some other people suggested in the thread. Its just a straightforward replacement for CVS which has proven itself in various major deployments over some quite a long time now.

I can't agree with you more here.  With the exception of finding a
server, moving from CVS => Subversion brings many benefits for not a lot
of effort.  The learning curve is non-existant.  Assuming we find a
place that everyone agrees with for hosting, I can only ask one
question:

Why not?

What can I say...some people just don't like (even the idea of) change. Unfortunate, but true. I am not a changeophobe, nor are, I believe, most of the core devs. It would be nice if more of them would weigh in on the proposal.