Re: GNUstep and session management

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: GNUstep and session management
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 01:51:22 +0200

Am Dienstag, 11.10.05 um 01:01 Uhr schrieb Markus Hitter:

Am 11.10.2005 um 00:00 schrieb Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf:

* a log out request doesn't destroy anything

To be honest, I log out of my personal computer once a month, at best. Setting a modern computer to sleep switches it as off as hardware can be off.

For all those situations where frequent log outs are required, I'd consider it more ideal to have apps which never pop up "Save changes before quit..."-type dialogs. They should write their stuff to temporary files and continue at the exakt same point the next time they are launched. This could even span sessions on different > machines.

But this is a dream. For now, sensible logouts are required.

* Session management is better done by loginwindow.app than the workspace manager

- You can quit the Mac OS X equivalent of the Workspace Manager (the infamous "Finder")[...]

More exactly, there's a third app, the Dock, which does session management on Mac OS X. The Dock can't be quit. The Dock handles the Apple menu, containing items like "shutdown" and "log out", and is responsible for launching apps.

Are you sure about this? I ask since I already heard the same from somebody else. But in fact on 10.2 you can kill the dock without loosing your session, it disappears for the fraction of a second and restarts. Also the Apple Menu doesn't seem to be affected. In contrast, killing loginwindow kills your session.

From the session management point of view, the Finder is just one of those apps, a file manager, which happens to be launched automatically but can be replaced by any other file manager.

Well, we're talking so much about Mac OS X here, ... are there other samples of well desgined session managements out in the OS world?

Maybe BeOS? Or OS/2? I don't know, I never used one of both ...

Markus

Lars