Re: GNUstep and session management

From: Sašo Kiselkov
Subject: Re: GNUstep and session management
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 08:42:15 +0200

Quoting Adrian Robert <arobert@cogsci.ucsd.edu>:

> On Oct 7, 2005, at 3:50 PM, Sa&#65533;o Kiselkov wrote:
> >
> > Let's just stop putting up theories about how it may or may not
> > work on OSX and
> > instead start designing a way that would work for us.
>
> I think we should try to follow OS X behavior to make things easier
> for people porting or maintaining cross-platform apps unless there's
> something broken in the way OS X does it.  Questions can be settled
> easily by running some test code on an OS X box.  I don't have time
> to write a test class right now but if someone sends me one I can
> compile it and try it out on Panther and Tiger and post the results
> here.

Why bother following the _internal_workings_ of OSX? The important features,
namely the external interface that apps see (that is, that
-applicationShouldTerminate: gets invoked before the poweroff occurs and the
return value correctly controls poweroff) and which users expect (correct
behavior of the workspace when the app is controlling poweroff) is already in
the implementation I proposed. My point is: my implementation _DOES_ follow the
correct OSX app behavior (which in simple terms means "override
-applicationShouldTerminate: and you can decide about poweroff with it"), but I
didn't bother trying to disassemble and backtrace every step OSX made about how
to implement the feature, and thus a _dirty_ implementation that relies on bugs
in OSX might (will) not work on GNUstep.

Hell, why bother about following bugs or being 1000000% OSX compliant?? It
behaves as the specification requires it to; finito. If we discuss every single
feature a year before it finally (if at all) gets in, then no wonder why GNUstep
is so terribly behind schedule. Look at KDE. Look at Gnome. Those projects
started years after GNUstep and now are years ahead of it and their enlarging
their lead.

What I'm trying to say is: don't worry about peanuts. We have far more important
and urgent issues which _DO_ require serious and competent decisions ASAP (e.g.
printing is absolutely crappy (even output to a PS file yields terrible
results), audio support is far from existant, and we don't even have a good IDE
or workspace app!).

Sorry I got so into rolling. It is nothing personal. But it's just that
GNUstep's state has overall not improved much over the years, so it drives me
mad with saddness...
(Please don't flame me for that...)

--
Saso