Re: Problem with static linking against libgnustep-baseadd

From: Benoit
Subject: Re: Problem with static linking against libgnustep-baseadd
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 21:47:11 +0200

Le 28 sept. 05, à 05:49, Adam Fedor a écrit :

On Sep 25, 2005, at 4:35 PM, Benoit wrote:

I am working on Mac OS X where I have installed libgnustep-baseadd (both the shared and the static version).

When I link my app against the shared version all is ok. But when I link against the static (in order to be able to distribute it to other users without libgnustep installed) the app failed to find methods from libgnustep-baseadd :

*** -[NSCFString stringByTrimmingSpaces]: selector not recognized
2005-09-26 00:18:44.658 WRP[23859] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[NSCFString stringByTrimmingSpaces]: selector not recognized

Static linking isn't well tested (well, not tested at all). Perhaps try compiling with

make messages=yes

to see what is getting linked in each case (shared and static) to see if there is a difference.

Is message=yes doing the same thing than adding a C-flag -v ? If yes then I have done it and there isn't a lot of differences. I have also try to take the static library and to deploy it on other computers. This way my app can link to the library but the library try to link against others library which obviously weren't present...

 What about compiling as a framework and including it with your app?

I have try to compile it as a framework with the Xcode project included but it failed (lack of some file if I remind well). I just see that there is a new release so I will try again with it later. It looks like the best idea, but I am not sure it will solved some issues with multi-library dependecies.

Having GNUstep base-additions as a framework on Mac OS X would be very great. I have read in the archive other post on this subject but no one seems having succeed.

For my app it's no longer an issue, I just wanted to use some categories on NSMutableString so I just create the categorie in my project and copy paste the code.

(Well first I wanted to use GSXML but after writing some code it appears a memory bug (dealloc of an object released earlier) that I was unable to locate. This plus the dependecies on other libraries have done that I choose to write a little piece of code to parse my (very simple) xml document and load it in a NSMutableDictionary for latter use in my app).

@+
Benoit