Re: NSRunLoop and async. I/O

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: NSRunLoop and async. I/O
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:17:46 -0500

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 01:32:10PM -0400, Richard Stahl wrote:
> I have a server application that processes traffic from a large number
> of  sockets asynchronously via Linux's epoll.  Is there any way to
> combine my epoll event loop with an NSRunLoop without using additional
> threads?  I guess a more general question:  is there any way to add
> arbitrary event sources to a run loop?

Yes.  netclasses does this with its asynchronous connections.  Look at
these methods in GNUstep source:

-[NSRunLoop addEvent: type: watcher: forMode:]
-[NSRunLoop removeEvent: type: forMode: all:]

and implement the message:

- (void)receivedEvent: type: extra: forMode:

See

http://local.aeruder.net/svn/netclasses/trunk/Source/NetBase.m

for how netclasses uses this to add its connections.

Cheers,
Andy

Related link: http://netclasses.aeruder.net

--