Another stenvironment example

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Another stenvironment example
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:37:54 +0200

Hi again,

To have a better picture, here is another example for the stenvironment.
You have to download previously mentioned sources to be able to do this.

First, try this without scripting environment in a UNIX shell:

    echo "text := 'Hello StepTalk.'" | stexec
    echo "Transcript showLine:text" | stexec

You will see nothing, well, only '(null)'.

Now create a shared scripting environment by launching following in a
terminal:

    stenvironment -name TestEnvironment

Execute in another terminal same commands but connect to the
environment:

       echo "text := 'Hello StepTalk.'" | stexec -env TestEnvironment

This will create a variable 'text' in the environment 'TestEnvironment'
Following command will print the variable.

       echo "Transcript showLine:text" | stexec -env TestEnvironment

If you look into the terminal where stenvironment is running you would
be able to see the output.

Note that the option to stexec -environment has different meaning now.
Old -environment option is now -type option, for more information see
stexec --help. For this reason I am considering renaming the stexec tool
to something other (my options: steptalk, stalk, keep stexec). Any other
ideas?

What do you think about shared semi-persistent environments?

Enjoy,

Stefan Urbanek

p.s.: I have just noticed that after successful execution it segfaults.
I'll look at it later, however if you have some time then let me know
where the problem is. Thanks.
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi