Re: Debian updates and GNUStep

From: Gerold Rupprecht
Subject: Re: Debian updates and GNUStep
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:55:49 +0200

Maarten Sander wrote:

> On 2005-08-14 11:00:04 +0200 Gerold Rupprecht <geroldr@bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
>> The result of launching from a terminal was as follows:
>>
>> gerold@linux:~$ openapp GNUMail.app
>> bash: gerold@linux:~$: command not found
>> gerold@linux:~$
>> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Applications/GNUMail.app/GNUMail: relocation
>> error:
>> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Library/Bundles/libgnustep-back.bundle/./libgnustep-back:
>>
>> undefined symbol: FTC_Manager_Lookup_Size
>

> I believe this is a problem with the current version (2.1.10 I
> believe) of FreeType in Debian.  The easy solution is to downgrade to
> a version that still works, for example 2.1.7.  Not a pretty solution,
> I know, but it works.
>
> HTH,
> Maarten

Thank you very much for the idea. You analysed the problem correctly. I
found I could revert to a previous version using the Synaptic Package
Manager (menu / Package / Force Version...). This gave me the 2.1.7
version and GNUMail was working again.

Many thanks. I hope the Debian packages are updated with a fix for this
soon, as this is a real show stopper for a new comer to Debian and GNUStep.

Best regards,

Gerold Rupprecht