Re: additional thougt about my fresh install from CVS

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: additional thougt about my fresh install from CVS
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:18:25 -0600

On 2005-07-14 05:42:45 +0100 Lloyd Dupont <lloyd@nova-mind.com> wrote:

previously I had used GNUstep-base-1.10.1-gui-0.9.4.exe which installed base 1.10.1 from CVS I have a version around 1.10.3 which, according the documentation, has changed only by a few minor bug fixes.
However in 1.10.1 I have
gnustep-base.dll 2.75 MB
and in the build CVS version I have
gnustep-base.dll 3.53 MB
and I wonder how come that only minor bug fixes produces such a big increase in size?!?

Most likely the fact that the standard charactersets are now built in to the dll rather than having to be loaded at runtime from external resource files ... part of the process of making things easier for windows users ... so they will be able to just copy around the dll rather than the dll plus a load of resource files. Probably, the language resources will always need to be copied though ... unless you use the default english.

Actually, that's not in the 1.10.X releases, it will be in the 1.11 release