installing GNUstep (from CVS on MinGW/Windows)

From: Lloyd Dupont
Subject: installing GNUstep (from CVS on MinGW/Windows)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:36:59 +1000

I want to put some comment on this document:
http://wwwmain.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/User/GNUstep/README.MinGW

while I'm trying to follow these steps & build from the CVS sources myself.

steps 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6: done. no problem.
(remark: doing manual install I could use latest stable 3.4.2 gcc, that is cool)

7: what is this unrelated stuff about setting HOME, HOMEDRIVE, HOMEPATH? and, beside (in the MSYS console) they are already set.....
Anyway adding
. /c/xxx/blablabla GNUstep in my .profile did work out nicely!

oops.. (small) problem: checking the environment variable I spotted:
GNUSTEP_PATHLIST=/C/GNUstep:/c/GNUstep-devcvs/..................
what is this 1st "/C/GNUstep" doing here? it's not anywhere near where I install my test build from CVS version!

8: problem....
I decided to use CVS to get the source (in step 5, as info was very succint but advised to do so).
In CVS there was only 1 module: gnustep.
And now I'm advised to download and build libobjc.
but libobjc:
- was not on the CVS server
- is not (apparently) inside the gnustep module...
oops, found libobjc in GNUstep/dev-libs/libobjc
lets suppose that's the right one and build it.
done.

9.
how do I know that my custom objc.dll has been detected? anyway twice it wrote 'checking zzz' (where zzz seems properly related to libobjc) which led me to think it did detect it.
done.

10.
why is it that ffcal is not in the dev-libs? (while 1. libbobjc is, 2. I downloaded ffcal from GNUstep's WebSite)
done

11.
done

I also had to copy the DLL files in $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Tools, as I copy this directory in my application for standalone install (without GNUstep, much easier!)

12.
easy, done

13.
I suppose gnustep-base is (when in CVS sources) gnustep/core/base?
well I am going along this line.

geez... it just works!
with such a number (and dependencies and size), I had some reason to be scared.
done

14.
done

+ same as 11

15.
I suppose it's gnustep/core/gui ?
done

16.
I suppose it's gnustep/core/back?
done

17.
actually 17 is testing and I'm going to write about issues (if any) in an other mail.

Well, that's what people call an easy 17 step installs ;-)

It apparently just works and the documentation was almost accurate and complete!
Now let's just make a quick try with my code.......