Re: Building with GNUstep make on Panther/Tiger

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Building with GNUstep make on Panther/Tiger
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:25:25 +0200

Hi Peter,

I find it discouraging that apps aren't binary compatible between 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4, although I understand why. I guess Apple tries to solve this issue with xCode by creating fat bundles containing code for all three OS versions.

You are misinformed.

Apps are absolutely binary compatible from 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4!

Thanks for the info!

Fat binaries are NOT used for different OS versions, only for different CPU architectures.

In addition, in most cases, things built on 10.4 will also run on OLDER OS versions

What exactly means "most cases" except the obvious API extension reason? Why does code built one Jaguar not work on Tiger properly then?

Regards,

 Andreas