Re: Porting and distributing to different platforms

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Porting and distributing to different platforms
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:49:20 +0100

On 2005-04-28 18:02:04 +0100 Michael Hopkins <michael.hopkins@hopkins-research.com> wrote:

I am interested in how feasible it is to port and distribute these command
line applications to other platforms using gcc (and mingw32) - these being:

- Windows (NT/2000/XP)

- Linux (32 bit for the forseeable future)

- FreeBSD amd64 (where I am having problems building GNUstep base)

I am sure all these platforms are supported by GNUstep but what I want to
know is:

1) Do I have to distribute any runtime or shared libraries with the
executables (and if so, what) or will they be completely self-contained?

You have to distribute gnustep-base ... and perhaps libxml2 (you can build wihtout it if you don't need it).l

Does it matter whether I link the executables with the -static flag?

I don't know if static linking works.

2) How many problems will I hit when doing this - not theoretically but
actually!  ;o)  I know everyone here is likely to be an enthusiast (as I am)
but I do need to know the facts on where I could hit bugs and/or performance
problems and how serious they will be.

Should be no performance problems wrt Foundation on ppc.
Should be no problems on gnu/linux systems at all.
Windows xp should work pretty simpy ... not sure about other versions.

FreeBSD is probably ok ... amd64 is probably not ... as it's quite possible/likely that base is no longer 64bit clean (it was ok on DEC Alpha processors at one point some years ago, but a lot of code has chaned since then) - however, if you can fix problems on that, and provide a copyright assignment, we can quickly get any fixes into the cvs repository.