Re: Troubles installing GNUstep on NetBSD

From: comrade
Subject: Re: Troubles installing GNUstep on NetBSD
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:14:40 +1000

Hi Denis

Sorry about the late reply; I've returned from a long vacation and have
just started catching up with the mail backlog ;)

> thank you very much, I did used ./configure --disable-gsnd in
> gnustep-gui and the installation did complete successfully  :)
> For now I will try to use it "as is", but for the future I will be very
> pleased if there is a way to enable sound.

I've been looking at this on and off since gsnd was committed. I've now
had a successful compile on NetBSD, but since I've got new hardware I
can't actually enable the audio device on my box to test it :(

This is what I did on NetBSD/i386 2.0.2:

1. Installed portaudio-18.1nb1 from pkgsrc

2. Modified the gsnd GNUmakefile to add a line
   gnustep_sndd_OBJC_FILES = gsnd.m

   and remove (by commenting out) the ifeq block containing
   gnustep_sndd_C_FILES that adds the C files from the included copy of
   portaudio. A patch is attached.

3. Ran gmake in the gsnd directory, then gmake install

4. Run the tool :)

Can you do this and tell me whether something like GNUmail that generates
sounds, works?

I think portaudio may be a useful third-party prerequisite library that
is searched for by configure, and that GUI only conditionally builds
gsnd if portaudio is present. Thoughts?

Regards

Peter