Linking and loadable bundles

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Linking and loadable bundles
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:52:58 +0200

Hello all,

we have a generic framework for accessing databases. The idea is to put all the database specific code into a loadable bundle (one for each database we want to support) and load this on the fly after the user has chosen what database to use. The loadable bundles link against the database specific client libraries.

This works on MacOSX. However, on GNUstep I need to link the database library I want to use into the application (not only into the loadable bundle), otherwise it won't start.

Error (objc-load):ld.so.1: /Library/SmartObjects/Applications/TruckService: fatal: relocation error: file /Library/SmartObjects/Bundles/SOFrontBaseBundle.bundle/./ SOFrontBaseBundle: symbol __objc_class_name_FBDatabaseConnection: referenced symbol not found

This is exactly what I do not want and why we invented the genric framework. How can this be worked around? It seems linking works different on MacOSX and under GNUstep (Sun Solaris). Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

 Andreas