Re: rpm packaging problems

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Re: rpm packaging problems
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:44:26 +0100

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 10:51:07 +0200, Riccardo <multix@ngi.it> wrote:

> in my pursuit of packaging GNUstep for MkLinux, I run into some
> unexpected problems. I took as reference the spec files distributed from
> gnustep.org.

I'm interested because I've been doing some RPM builds for SuSE 9.1
and /haven't/ had the problem. Is there some important step that I'm
missing?

> What essentially happens is that inside the RPM build environment
> "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" is not set. Dumping an "env" inside the spec after
> GNUstep.sh was sourced confirms this. Since in MkLinux I need libobjc to
> build base, configure will wail saying my obj-c is not working.
>
> I am using rpm 4.0.
>
> Any ideas ? Someone knows if this is standard behavior and if there are
> workarounds ?

With:
 - rpm 4.1 running under a non-root username;
 - 'topdir' and 'BuildRoot' set to point at directories in that
   user's file space;
 - no 'make rpm' in the spec file; and
 - standard libobjc at /usr/lib/libobjc.so.1.0.0 (not the GNUstep
   "special" libobjc),
the build doesn't seem to have any difficulty finding the libobjc
library. I'll e-mail you separately with the spec file (based on the
one in the gnustep-base source tarball).

As a non-developer, I'm a bit hazy about LD_LIBRARY_PATH; my reading
of the documentation is that it shouldn't be necessary because ld will
search /usr/lib anyway? Is it needed in your case because of some
special feature of MkLinux?

--
    Richard Stonehouse