Re: Known MacOS programmer about WO/EOF

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: Known MacOS programmer about WO/EOF
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:00:56 +0200

Hey,

On Wednesday, March 30, 2005, at 04:49 PM, Helge Hess wrote:

I've just tried on Debian Sid. Installation is very easy, I did an "apt-get install projectcenter" and got /usr/bin/ProjectCenter. Very nice.

hmm... I installed debian unstable on an older x86 box for some testing and I can't use since gdnc dies/doesn/'t work or anyway gives problems. I'll try to investigate the matter further.

But: actually we access all our Linux machines using X11 from OSX desktops, and so do I. Guess what? It doesn't work at all. I get a white menu and a lot of warnings in the shell [BadImplementation (server does not implement operation)]. Before anyone blames Apple X11: I have no such issues with any other X11 app I'm using, KDE, OOo, Mozilla, Xemacs etc - all working perfectly fine. I suppose GS misses fallbacks for some X11 extensions it does use.

Summary for _me_: GNUstep not usable on my Linux servers :-( Check again in 12 months.
Interesting. I can run GNUstep on the X11 beta server of Apple (the one that still runs on Jaguar) and it works. At least I get menus, windows etc. The ook is fine, there is only a never-solved problem with sub-menus having position and focus problems (again, any other X11 app I tried, motif, GTK, QT... works) which could be a server problem, but if, it is uncovered only by GNUstep. Of course, GNUstep is very "unfriendly" to use on non-windowmaker setups. But it works.

Ah of course I run the (broken) xlib backend. If you use debian you are stuck in art.\

Besides, xlib is very inefficient, so even if exporting will work, it works badly. I don't know why, but it is "slow" everything involving an image.. scrolling an image is very slow just popping up a window... Motif, Xaw but even GTK1 compare much, much better! On a 10mbit network and a fast X server (say, on a SGI) most application are almost like run locally...
-R