Re: Known MacOS programmer about WO/EOF

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Known MacOS programmer about WO/EOF
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:36:01 +0200

Armando Di Cianno wrote:

Take for example gsweb.  Almost 100% undocumented, never been
"released" (come on -- it's at least 0.3, no?) and yet, if you try it
out, it's extremely cool.  So what on earth do we tell
end-user/developers?  "You know...try it out...and if you happen to
have developed for WO about 5 years ago, it's almost feasible to
use...otherwise...well...you'll figure it out....".  Pretty much, not
cool.

OK, I'll take the bait... To me, making a release involves a certain responsibility wrt user expectations. A certain level of feature completeness and usability. Since you have setup gsweb before I'm sure you know all the extra twiddling needed. Things like the Apache adaptor module and it's configuration. In fact I'm currently working on ./configure for the Apache adaptor right now so some of that will be remedied.

But there are more user expectations. For one thing I'm not planing on supporting backward compatibility to any current NSCoding implementations in GDL2 or GSWeb.

Also there are still many issues when you your users expect the high level EOF/WebObjects API and the find out that they have to work around many incomplete low-level implementations. Yes GSWeb and GDL2 can be used by people who already know how it is supposed to work and fill in holes where necessary. But making a release says to me "Users, you may start building apps on top of this and we will support you". I can't do that. Most of my time is spent building on top of what we currently have, but I try to clean up and write API tests whenever I can. I once started auditing the what needs to be done for GDL2, but decided my limited time is better spend in just getting things done and coordinating things with other developers on a case by case basis.

What we need is developers that already know how EOF/WebObjects and can spend time working on it. There are a few that are trying to get into it. But they often lack the experience and resources (reference implementations) to really get the correct implementation. I'm sad to say, that I simply don't always have the time or even the know-how to help them out, even though I try when I can. Another problem I see, is that some of the work to squeeze out more efficiency has made the code much harder to read, making it even harder for new folks to help out. I'm still hoping to find a way to remedy that, but to do that I'll need to find some time to do some real benchmarking myself to make sure we don't loose measurable performance.

Cheers,
David