Re: ANN: Emacs on GNUstep / OS X 8.0-rc1

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: ANN: Emacs on GNUstep / OS X 8.0-rc1
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:15:26 +0100

At 16:42 Uhr -0500 07.03.2005, Adrian Robert wrote:
http://emacs-on-aqua.sf.net/

Status respecting backends on GNUstep is unchanged: works on Xlib, has
rendering anomalies under Art.  Specifically, menus are rendered blank
when they change, and the letter 'f' is rendered in proportional spacing
(from NSString -drawAtPoint:withAttributes:) in all fonts tried (in some
cases the character after the 'f' must be 'i' or another 'f').
"defaults write Emacs GSBackend libgnustep-xlib" is necessary.

Not sure whether you already know the source of the "f" problem and simplified the explanation, or whether you don't know where this comes from, but this looks to me like ligatures are turned on where they shouldn't. Ligatures are a typographical fanciness for representing certain character pairs with a single character that looks like an amalgamation of the two. Often done for fi, fl and a few others.

I think there should be a way to turn of ligatures, but you may have to use the Cocoa text system directly instead of using NSString's drawAtPoint:.

BTW, if anyone knows a good developer-oriented Cocoa mailing list to
announce this to, let me know -- I'd like to get the word out to Mac
folks (who might also help with the development, since none of the
remaining issues with the port are GNUstep-specific).