Re: GNUstep appearance and help porting Cocoa

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: GNUstep appearance and help porting Cocoa
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:01:33 -0600 (CST)

Hi Anu! Welcome back to GNUstep!

> I've noticed that one of the biggest complaints that people seem to have
> about gnustep is the icons and theme. Every time  there is a review
> someone make a comment about 1993.  You have to admit that while not
> critical, the icon sets are very dated.  There are a few decent icon
> themes like the KDE Crystal icon theme  (LGPL) which would make the
> desktop look a lot more OSX like. Is there any work being done on
> updating the appearance? how can i help?

Yep -- myself and a few others are working on a new theme and icon set for
some of the distros that will be based on GNUstep. Jasper Hauser <
http://www.jasperhauser.nl/icon/ > has been doing some of the system
icons, and I have been working on some icons as well, mostly for various
applications:

http://jesseross.com/clients/gnustep/icons/apps/gorm/
http://jesseross.com/clients/gnustep/icons/apps/helpviewer/
http://jesseross.com/clients/gnustep/icons/apps/installer/

You can see where we're at with the new theme (Nesedah) here:

http://jesseross.com/clients/gnustep/ui/concepts/03/camaelon_nesedah.png

More about the new themeing engine, Camaelon, is available here (make sure
you check out the screenshots!):

http://www.roard.com/camaelon/

If you're interested in more on the UI side, I'd recommend subscribing to
the GNUstep UI mailing list: gnustep-ui@gna.org

> And one other thing, is there any quick way of porting from Cocoa to
> Gnustep. I have looked at the GnuStep page, but other than mentioning
> tools, it is light on details.  I have an NNTP newsreader i've written
> called OSXnews  (http://osxnews.sf.net) that I'd like to port over. If
> anyone has ported stuff a few pointers would be helpful. Is there a
> howto anywhere?

I'm sure some of the others on the list can help you with this one.

Good luck and thanks for checking us out again!

J.