Re: very basic questions: ubuntu

From: Gürkan Sengün
Subject: Re: very basic questions: ubuntu
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:35:48 +0100

I am trying to install gnustep-startup on an ubuntu system (debian).

From the holy /topic of irc.debian.org #debian:
Knoppix/Ubuntu/Mepis/Kurumin are NOT Debian

I'll try to help from a debian user view...

I installed gobjc, but I get the following error:

E281 Error
I don't seem to be able to use your Objective-C compiler to produce
working binaries!  Please check your Objective-C compiler installation.

dpkg -S `which gcc`    says what?

I also get missing libraries: libjpeg, libtiff and libpng -- what are the
names of the packages that I need to install? Or do I have to compile them
myself? Note that I already have libtiff4 on my system, but the installer
can't seem to find it.

try apt-cache search libwhatever dev
and install the -dev package.

While we're at it, what is the package for ffcall?

apt-cache search ffcall

yours,
guerkan